Things You Can Do
Become an Earth Care Congregation
Is your church active in earth care or interested in becoming more involved in being stewards of God’s earth? Use “Earth Care Congregations: A Guide to Greening Presbyterian Churches” to find ideas for earth care projects and to become certified as an Earth Care Congregation through Environmental Ministries. earth_care_congregations.pdf
Sample Covenant/Agreement OhIPLcovenant.pdf (for Ohio Interfaith Power & Light Faith Groups)
- A list of Tennessee Green Organizations from Eco-USA.org
- See Green Interfaith's Eco-Advocacy page for active groups in East Tennessee
- Green America “Our mission is to harness economic power—the strength of consumers, investors, businesses, and the marketplace—to create a socially just and environmentally sustainable society.”
Action Links (by category)
Local Power Utilities
- Johnson City Power Board/BrightRidge: The amount of information on energy conservation techniques and programs on the JCPB website is more than you can possibly master. Spend some time browsing; it’s well worthwhile if you want to be “energy green” and take advantage of their support services.
- Appalachian Electric Power (AEP): A large utility with plenty of information and programs. Serves Kingsport and surrounding areas.
- Bristol Tennessee Essential Services (BTES): Another good utility with plenty of information and progressive programs. Serves Sullivan County.
- Elizabethton Electric Department: Rather weak on energy conservation advice and services. New heat pump and water heater loans and rebates seem to be about their only energy conservation activity. Serves Elizabethton and Carter County.
- Erwin Utilities: Modest info on energy conservation and limited services in this regard.
- Holston Electric Cooperative: Serves Hawkins and Hamblen counties and has a fairly good list of tips on energy conservation and link to online energy use survey.
- Greeneville Light & Power System: Modest list of energy savings tips but little in the way of extra assistance.
- Mountain Electric Cooperative: Serves Johnson County and part of Carter County plus adjacent areas of NC. Excellent energy conservation programs and info that seems comparable to Johnson City Power Board.
Other Resource Conservation links
“Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist.” [Kenneth Boulding, economist]
"Somehow, we have come to think the whole purpose of the economy is to grow, yet growth is not a goal or purpose. The pursuit of endless growth is suicidal." [David Suzuki]
Contact Your Legislators
Contact your Government Representatives in Tennessee & in Washington DC