Green Interfaith Network and United Religions Initiative delivered a letter to Senator Bob Corker's office on April 24, 2018 on behalf of over forty religious (lay and ordained) leaders to support SB 200 and environmental conservation measures.
Religious Leaders of East Tennessee Urge Senator Bob Corker
To Act Now to
Prevent Nuclear War and Protect the Climate
In the name of all that is holy and all that is hoped, we religious leaders, united by the belief that Earth is sacred and by our calling to protect the divine masterpiece of Creation, especially the poor:
- Warn that IT IS TWO MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT – i.e., human civilization is at its greatest risk from nuclear war and climate catastrophe since the end of World War II;
- Urge support for S.200, the “Restricting First Use of Nuclear Weapons Act of 2017”, to establish the policy of No First Use;
- Believe that higher temperatures are contributing to the extinction of animal and plant species and that rising sea levels are making areas of the world unfit for habitation;
- Encourage adoption of revenue-neutral carbon fee and dividend legislation to avert catastrophic global warming;
- Insist that resources spent on producing, stockpiling and deploying nuclear weapons be dedicated to feeding and housing the poor and to education and health care; and
- Fear that nuclear weapons will be used by the United States as tools of aggression.
By adding our names to the sign-on letter, a choir of over three dozen religious voices together calls on Senator Bob Corker to prioritize the prevention of nuclear war and protection of the climate in his last months in office.